Although the bride is the center of the wedding day and no one and nothing is to compromise this fact, it is extremely important to be thoughtful with the bridesmaid dress selection. Despite their understudy role in the day's events, bridesmaids still want to look attractive and feel pretty. And the last thing the bride needs is disgruntled women who don't feel pretty standing up in front of friends and family and taking photos that will capture their resentment for all eternity. Here are a few tips to consider when making the all important decision of what to put on the bridesmaids.
1. When initially selecting the wedding colors and/or theme, it is wise to take into account what the resulting color will be for the bridesmaid dresses. Is this a color that is even available? Will it make everyone in the bridal party look awful? Be careful also that the color selected doesn't come in 50 different shades that will add a whole new layer of confusion to the process.
2. If your bridesmaids are paying for their own dresses, be sure to look at the cost of the dress before making the final decision. Is the dress available on-line at a cheaper price? Is there a similar dress that is just as fitting, but costs less? These are smart questions to ask to ensure that the dress doesn't break the bridesmaid's bank and create friction.
3. With our mobility around the country and world, it is very possible that several bridesmaids will be in other locations. If this is the case, a dress that can be ordered on-line and then tailored locally, if necessary, will be the best scenario for a stress free bridesmaid interaction.
4. Allowing for bridesmaid input is optional, but wise with guidelines. First, don't ask for input while dress shopping with all the bridesmaids. This is more likely to create a mob mentality that could turn ugly very quickly. Instead, ask each bridesmaid individually prior to going to look at dresses. This will provide information that can be used while making the final decision during the shopping adventure. Second and most important, do not give the idea to any bridesmaid that the bridesmaid dress decision is up in the air and open for discussion. Input is one thing, but if bridesmaids have the false impression that they are in on the final decision, feelings could get hurt.
5. Many bridal parties today are full of different styles and sometimes even colors. Don't be stuck on the notion that all the bridesmaids have to be in the exact same dress. If there are several different body types, it may not even be wise to try and put all the bridesmaids in the same dress. Consider a universal style, if keeping the one dress approach is on the agenda.
6. This last suggestion maybe the most important of all - Instruct all the bridesmaids to watch TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress - Bridesmaids" in order to see exactly how not to act!
Follow these steps to bridesmaid dress bliss!
At Occasions In Print we are all about helping create the first impression with the elegance and distinction that reflects your style and sensibility. Our Wedding Invitations, Birth Announcements, Stationery are of the highest quality and the greatest value. Each can be personalized and previewed. We offer fine stationery store quaility, but with low online prices.